maverick adj : independent in behavior or thought; "she led a somewhat irregular private life"; "maverick politicians" [syn: irregular, unorthodox]
1 someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action [syn: rebel]
2 an unbranded range animal (especially a stray calf); belongs to the first person who puts a brand on it
- , /ˈmævərɪk/, /"m
A Maverick is a person with independence of thought or action, a non-conformist; or, in American use, a stray animal without an owner's mark on it. As a verb, it means to seize something without holding a lawful claim to it.
Maverick can also refer to:
- Maverick (roller coaster), at Cedar Point amusement park
- Maury Maverick, Jr. (1921–2003), a Texas politician, activist and columnist
- Maury Maverick (1895–1954), a U.S. Congressman from San Antonio who coined the word "gobbledygook"
- Samuel Augustus Maverick (1803–1870), a Texas cattleman from whom the term maverick originated
- Samuel Maverick (colonist) (1602–1670), an English colonist in Massachusetts
- Samuel Maverick (apprentice), one of five men killed by British troops during the Boston Massacre
- Maverick Matt (Matt Bentley), professional wrestler in TNA wrestling
- Maverick, an entertainment company with record and film divisions;
- Maverick (magazine), a South African business magazine
- Maverik Lacrosse, a lacrosse equipment and apparel company, based in Mineola, New York
- Maverick Technology a worldwide distributor of automotive diagnostic equipment based in England
- Maverick (Mega Man), rebellious Reploids from the Mega Man X video game series
In film and television:
- Maverick (TV series), a 1957 television series set in the American Old West starring James Garner and Jack Kelly.
- Maverick (film), a 1994 film, based on the 1957 television series, starring Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, and James Garner.
- Maverick's a 1998 one-hour PBS documentary the famed California surfing location.
- The callsign of the main character (played by Tom Cruise) in the film Top Gun
- Yugioh (anime)s recurring villain in the later seasons goes by the name Maverick.
In other uses''':
- Maverick (chocolate), a chocolate snack previously manufactured by Nestle
- Ford Maverick, the name of 4 different automobiles made by the Ford Motor Company
- AGM-65 Maverick, a guided air-to-surface missile
- Maverick, a Marvel Comics mutant superhero also known as David North (comics) or Agent Zero
- A-Tech Mavericks, mascot for Advanced Technologies Academy in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Maverick (book), an autobiography of Ricardo Semler's company
- Maverick (cigarettes) made by the Lorillard Tobacco Co.
- A maverick is an unbranded or feral horse or bovine.
- Maverick Property Management is a lettings agent based in Cardiff
- Maverick Explorer Scout Unit is based in Woking, Surrey, UK
- The Maverick REV-6 is a Nerf gun in the N-Strike series
maverick in German: Maverick
maverick in Spanish: Maverick
maverick in French: Maverick
maverick in Dutch: Maverick
maverick in Japanese: マベリック
maverick in Polish: Maverick
maverick in Portuguese: Maverick
maverick in Finnish: Maverick
Bohemian, Brahman, Indian buffalo, agitator, alien, ass, aurochs, beat, beatnik, beef, beef cattle, beeves, bigot, bison, bitter-ender, bossy, bovine, bovine animal, brawler, breakaway, buffalo, bull, bullethead, bullock, calf, carabao, case, cattle, character, cow, crackpot, crank, critter, dairy cattle, dairy cow, deviant, diehard, dissenter, dogie, dogmatist, donkey, dropout, eccentric, extremist, fanatic, far out, flower child, freak, free and easy, fringy, frondeur, hardnose, heifer, heretic, heretical, hermit, heterodox, hippie, hobo, hornless cow, informal, insubordinate, insurgent, insurrectionary, insurrectionist, insurrecto, intransigeant, intransigent, kine, kinky, kook, last-ditcher, leppy, lone wolf, loner, malcontent, meshuggenah, milch cow, milcher, milk cow, milker, misfit, mule, muley cow, muley head, musk-ox, mutineer, natural, neat, nonconformist, nonjuror, not cricket, not done, not kosher, nut, odd fellow, oddball, oddity, offbeat, original, outsider, ox, oxen, pariah, perverse fool, pighead, positivist, purist, queer duck, queer fish, queer specimen, rara avis, rebel, revolter, revolutionary, revolutionist, rioter, screwball, sectarian, sectary, solitary, standpat, standpatter, steer, stickler, stirk, stot, subversive, swinger, traitor, tramp, type, ugly duckling, unconformist, unconventional, unfashionable, unorthodox, way out, wisent, yak, yearling, yippie, zealot, zebu